Wednesday, 12 December 2012

Inspiring Images Photography Course

Well yesterday morning I woke up nice and early as usual to go for my weekly kick of BodyAttack. Only 15 minutes into the workout I rolled my ankle and sprawled on my back on the floor. Classy! But then that wouldn't surprise you as I am always classy. It's one of my defining character traits. :) So I had to cancel my three students and have had my feet up icing the swollen ankle. Looking on the bright side, I've had lots of time for reading and mainly sorting through my photos of that amazing week in Melbourne.
 
 
I've enjoyed going back through those hundreds of photos. I can see that I did improve, even if it was ever so slightly in the short week. So here's a little walk through my time becoming a more brilliant photographer than I already was.
 
 
Day One we spent the morning in the classroom and then in the afternoon we headed to a dam for picture taking. I was pretty happy with all ten of the pictures I picked for critiquing, until they were critiqued, and then I realised just how bad they were. These were the only two out of 40 in the end that I kind of liked.
 
Photobucket
 
 
But thanks to Morgan's beautiful smile I won photo of the day with this image. It was the encouragement I needed for some dark days ahead.
Photobucket
 
 
 
 
Day Two we had more classes in the morning and in the afternoon headed to a few different places for photo taking.
 
The lovely Sarah...
Photobucket
 
 
and Isabelle were such kind models.
Photobucket
 
 
 
We had a time limit and photo limit each day, but on this day I sadly read my watch wrong and thought it was time to leave an hour before it was. So I hung around the parking area, snapping a few pictures only to realise 30 minutes later that I had misread the time. I was a little annoyed, but I still did manage to snap a few ok shots.
 
Photobucket
 
I can't decide which of these two I like best.
 
Photobucket



On Wednesday we went to  Mont de Lancy for picture taking. This was my most disappointing day. I wasn't fussed with any of my pictures, despite having great surroundings.
Photobucket




And then we come to Thursday which was my favourite day by far. Full of drama and water and heat and beautiful scenery and people for picture taking.


We went to Philip Island for the day and it was freakishly amazing. This picture (which I really love by the way) I took standing in shallow water. I loved wandering along the water's edge photographing. One of the themes for Thursday was Black and White photography, so you might see that theme coming through a bit over the next few pictures.
Photobucket

Photobucket


Even though I was told this picture didn't have a strong subject, I still like it.
Photobucket



And I couldn't get through the day with out a selfie...
Photobucket


and feet shot (I won't embarrass the other person by disclosing who's feet are on the left. You know who you are. :)
Photobucket


Photobucket



And because the day wasn't going to be memorable enough, one of the vehicle's alternator died en route to Churchill Island. Thankfully we had some guys who knew what to do, because if I was in charge we would have had a very large taxi bill. :)
Photobucket


Photobucket



Sarah was my photographic buddy for the day and she was very obliging in posing for me. One of our items for the day was B&W emotion. I think this picture has emotion.
Photobucket

Photobucket



There were lots of cute little things around the place to take pictures of.
Photobucket

Photobucket



I lost my list of our subjects, so photographed someones beautiful handwriting-I think it was Kelsie's.
Photobucket

Photobucket



Good, old Daniel (our instructor) spent the whole time we were in Churchill Island fixing the car. Thanks to him we were able to see the Nobbies and get back to base.
Photobucket



Travelling in the unreliable car on the way to the Nobbies. We had no air con and were feeling a little unsure about how this trip would go.
Photobucket


Photobucket



I like this picture, though I'm not really sure why (except that it has the lovely Eloise).
Photobucket





The lovely Kelsie, always happy to help me out and be a subject.
Photobucket

Photobucket




We arrived back late on the Thursday, but not too tired for some fun chats and photo sharing
Photobucket



And then Friday was full of classes and photo critiquing.

And just because I like taking pictures of food.
Photobucket



Part of our small group that were left on Friday night after mostly everyone had gone home. We figured it was our last night together, so we stayed up late and played volleyball and soccer and lay on the grass talking and were serenaded with beautiful versions of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" before doing some singing and filing off to bed.
Photobucket


Saturday was a long-drive home, with an interlude at a friend's 21st Party. Arriving home I was greeted at the door by lovely signs, and pictures, and 4 crazy kids. The week was great and so were so many new and good friends, but it was awesome coming home to my family.


However I will always remember the 26-30 of November 2012 as the greatest week in my amazing photographic career.


Photobucket
Photo courtesy Daniel Harrison
Photobucket
Photo courtesy Daniel Harrison

4 comments:

  1. I loved your post, Bethany! It brought back many happy memories and makes me want to do it all over again!! (maybe without the broken car bit though, as adventurous as it was :)

    I do hope your foot recovers quickly!

    Take care,
    Love Morgan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to read this post and see so many great photos of our fun week! :) I'll have to get a copy off you at some point!

    Sorry to hear about your foot {get better soon!} but I'm sure it's also a nice compulsory break too! ;)
    Sending love! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany!

    Whoo hoo awesome post! Brings back precious memories spent with precious people! Loving your blog... now I know the author! :)

    Have you decided to come to the ATI conference after all? ;) Know that you are very welcome!

    xx Isabelle

    ReplyDelete